Our mission is to deliver outstanding health care and educate UA students for healthier living.
To be the number one choice for UA students for their health care and wellness education.
The first known history of student health services at The University of Alabama was from 1887 to 1908 when the student infirmary was located in the Gorgas House. During the 1920’s, President George H. Denny donated a lot on campus to the city of Tuscaloosa to build Druid City Hospital then located near Russell Hall. The hospital was taken over by the university at the beginning of World War II and served as a student infirmary with 45 beds until 1968.
In 1968, during the Frank A. Rose presidency, Russell Hall was designed to be the Student Health Center on campus. Named for the University trustee Thomas D. Russell and his wife Julia W. Russell, Russell Hall had fifty-two beds and had a staff of sixty-five, including ten physicians, seventeen nurses, two pharmacists and two dieticians.
Russell Hall served as the Student Health Center until 2006 when the architectural firm of Sherlock, Smith & Adams built the current Student Health Center location and adjoining University Medical Center on 5th Avenue East. The Student Health Center now has twenty-four examination rooms, three treatment rooms, two observation rooms, two nurses’ stations and about sixty-five fulltime staff members.
The University of Alabama: A Pictorial History by Suzanne Rau Wolfe, University of Alabama Press, 1983
History of the University of Alabama, volume II, 1902-1952 by James Benson Sellers, revised and edited by W. Stanley Hoole, unpublished manuscript in The William Stanley Hoole Papers, The W. S. Hoole Special Collections Library (Ready Reference Section)
The University of Alabama: A Guide to the Campus and Its Architecture, by Robert Mellown, 2013